2019-09-22 (3).png

Fort Wayne is ready for a permanent central market area. It is evident that Fort Wayne is continually and rapidly growing. Having this market will add to the areas quality of life and reflect the interest of the community.

“Great cities have great public markets,”
— said Jeff Kingsbury, a Fort Wayne native

Electric Works: The need for a centralized market is as important today as it was in 1837. We expect that it will continue to grow and be home to a multi day market.

Connected to future food hall and Farmers Market

Connected to future food hall and Farmers Market


Inside the Barr Market in 1957

Inside the Barr Market in 1957

The downtown summer market was started in 1837.

City parking lot is now being used by the Ft. Wayne’s Farmers Market

City parking lot is now being used by the Ft. Wayne’s Farmers Market

By 1855, the market was flourishing 6 days a week and in 1910 a concrete covered market complex was built.  This classical revival structure served as the open market’s building till 1966.

FWFM-3in-x-3in-sticker.jpg

Ft. Wayne’s Farmers Market was organized in August of 2012 by Leigh Rowan, what was to come, was the first continuously operating market in Fort Wayne. She is the owner of Big Brick House Bakery & Pasta. She was able to subsides her business by doing several markets during the summer of 2012. During that summer she developed relationships with several other small businesses and vendors. When the conversation turned to the end of summer markets and still having product to offer. She worked with several farmers and they agreed to try to grow for 1 market a month. With that conversation, her mission was to make it happen, little did she know that she was laying the ground work that several had tried to achieve, but were never successful. In 6 weeks, the market opened in Oct 2012. She has always been thankful that her friends, the original vendors, followed her blindly into the unknown, the trust and faith they demonstrated continues to touched her heart.

March 2013

March 2013

  • Opened Oct. 2012 one day a month, the town was clamoring for it to be more then 1 day a month. But the farmers needed time to learn and perfect their growing techniques.

  • June 2013, Expanded to include a summer component at 301 E Wayne St. currently a city parking lot, but the footprint of the original market (pictured left)

  • Oct 2013, operated 2 days a month, 1st and 3rd Saturday. After the first year the farmers became comfortable and were sure that they could grow produce alternate weeks.

  • Oct 2016, the new market master consulted the farm vendors, then she opted to increase the market to weekly.

  • Oct 2022, celebrating 10 year anniversary.

Photos credit Arch and the History Center